- Ireland and the Spanish Empire, 1600–1825. Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2010, pp 344. Series: International Studies in Irish History: Modern research in direct translation. CHOICE American Library Association Outstanding Academic Title 2010.
- Ireland in Alcalá: The Irish community at the University of Alcalá and its European, 1579-1785. Alcala de Henares: King's College Foundation, 2004, pp 264. Historical Research City of Alcala Prize 2003.
- Spain and the loss of Ulster: Ireland in the political strategy of the Spanish monarchy (1602-1649). Madrid: Maze, 2003, pp 287.
- The relief of Ireland 1601 Army and contribution to the social integration of the Irish in Spain. Madrid: Ministry of Defence, 2002, pp 312. Spanish Army Research Prize in Social and Human Sciences 2001.
Books as editor
- Corporations Nation in the Spanish Monarchy (1580-1750): Identity, patronage and networks of sociability, Madrid: Foundation Carlos of Antwerp, in press.
- Power Strategies: Spain and Ireland 1600-1825 / Nation networks and spaces of power: the Irish community in Spain and Spanish America, 1600-1825. Valencia: Spanish Ministry of Defence-Albatros, 2012.
- Foreigners in Spain and the Spanish America: Nations and Nation-building. Madrid: Complutense University, Journal of Modern History Magazine, Anejo X (2011).
- Essays on the Irish military presence in early modern Spain, 1580–1818. Madrid: Spanish Ministry of Defence, 2007, pp 436.
- Ireland and the Spanish monarchy: Kinsale, 1601-2001. War, policy, exile and religió, Madrid: The Spanish National Research Council CSIC & University of Alcalá, 2002, pp 567.
Chapters of books
- 'A not so bitter exile: immigration from the British Isles in the eighteenth century Spain ', in Igor Pérez Tostado & José Javier Ruiz Ibáñez (eds.), Refugees of the king of Spain. The Iberian monarchies as exiles receiving land (XVI-XVIII centuries), Culture Fund
Economic, in press.
- 'The physical spaces of representation of foreign communities in Spain: a state of the question ', in Bernardo J. García García & Óscar Recio Morales (eds.), Corporations Nation in the Spanish Monarchy (1580-1750): Identity, patronage and networks of sociability, Madrid, Foundation Carlos of Antwerp, in press.
- 'Nation networks and spaces of power in the Spanish monarchy: a state of the question ', in Oscar Recio Morales (and.), Power Strategies: Spain and Ireland 1600–1825 / Nation networks and spaces of power: the Irish community in Spain and Spanish America, 1600-1825, Valencia, Ministry of Defense Publishing Albatros, 2012, pp 37-52.
- 'The Irish surname ballast in the eighteenth century Spain', in Gregory Salinero & Teston Elizabeth Nunez (eds.), A game of deception: mobility, names in the XV to XVIII. Madrid: Casa de Velázquez, 2010, pp 103-120.
- 'The role of the Irish mainland in the reforms of the eighteenth century Spanish America', in Igor Pérez Tostado and Enrique García Hernán (eds.), Ireland and the Iberian Atlantic: Mobility, involvement and cross-cultural exchange 1580-1823. Valencia: Albatros Ediciones, 2010, pp 177-192.
- 'Irish Studies and the Atlantic Iberian (XVI-XVIII centuries): a bibliographical selection ', in Igor Pérez Tostado and Enrique García Hernán (eds.), Ireland and the Iberian Atlantic: Mobility, involvement and cross-cultural exchange 1580-1823. Valencia: Albatros Ediciones,
2010, pp 323-335.
- "Empires Connectors: the figure of the Irish merchant in Spain and in the eighteenth century Atlantic world ", in Ana Crespo Solana (coord.), Transnational Communities: Foreign merchant colonies in the Atlantic World (1500-1830). Madrid: Twelve Streets Releases, 2010, pp 313-336.
- ‘What if the earls had landed in Spain? The 1607 flight in the Spanish context’, in David Finnegan, Marie-Claire Harrigan and Eamonn Carey (eds), The Flight of the Earls. Derry: Guildhall Press, 2010, pp 140-146.
- (& Enrique García Hernán): "Foreigners in court: the Irish ", In José Martínez Millán & But Antoinette Visceglia (eds),
- The monarchy of Philip III: Realms (flight. IV). Madrid: Mapfre Foundation, 2008, pp 1276-1316.
- 'Among the divine and human. Ireland in the overall strategy of the Austrias Madrid, 1529-1700’, in Declan M. Downey & Julio Crespo MacLennan (eds.), Spanish-Irish Relations through the Ages. New Historical Perspectives. Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2008, pp 17-48.
- ‘Identity and Loyalty: Irish Traders in Seventeenth-Century Iberia’, in David Dickson, Jan Parmentier and Jane Ohlmeyer (eds), Irish and Scottish Mercantile networks in Europe and overseas in the seventeenth and eighteenth century. Gander: Academy Press, 2007, pp 197-
- '"Seizes Nation, an Irishman you have believed ": Nobility, nation and identities of Irish military group in the army of the Spanish Bourbons. The O'Reilly case ', in Antonio Jiménez Estrella and Francisco Andújar Castillo (eds), The nerves of the war. Social Studies over the host of the Spanish monarchy (s. XVI-XVIII): New vistas. Granada: Comares, 2007, pp 277-315.
- 'Foreigners and the Irish nation in the context of the new European military history', in Enrique García Hernán & Óscar Recio Morales (eds), Essays on the Irish military presence in Early Modern Spain, 1580–1818. Madrid: Spanish Ministry of Defence, 2007, pp 63-77.
- 'The "Irish model" in the armies of the Habsburg and Bourbon: continuity and differences', in Enrique García Hernán & Óscar Recio Morales (eds), Essays on the Irish military presence in Early Modern Spain, 1580–1818. Madrid: Ministry of Defence, 2007, pp 203-33.
- 'The people of nations in the armies of the Austrians Hispanics: service, confidence and correspondence ', in Enrique García Hernán & David Maffi (eds), War and Society in the Spanish Monarchy. Policy, Strategy and Culture in Modern Europe (1500-1700). Madrid: Labyrinth editions – Mapfre Foundation – CSIC, 2006, flight. 1, pp 651-679.
- ‘Irish émigré group strategies of survival, adaptation and integration in seventeenth- and eighteenth-century Spain’, in Thomas O’Connor & Mary Ann Lyons (eds), Irish Communities in Early-Modern Europe. Dublin: Four Courts, 2006, pp 240-266.
- ‘Spanish army attitudes to the Irish at Kinsale’, in Hiram Morgan (and. by), The Battle of Kinsale, Dublin: Well, 2004, pp 91-100.
- ‘Irish nation: Socio-cultural perceptions and policy responses on Ireland and the Irish community in the seventeenth century Spain ', Ireland and the Spanish monarchy: Kinsale, 1601-2001. Madrid: University of Alcalá-CSIC, 2002, pp 315-340.
Contributions to peer-reviewed journals
- ‘The Caroline Reforms and Foreign Merchants in Spain: A Comparative Approach to the Attitudes and Responses of the Naciones to te Regalist Offensive 1759–1793’ / Carolinas reforms and foreign merchants in Spain: attitudes and responses
'Nations' to the royalist offensive, 1759–1793, Hispania: Spanish Journal of History (CSIC), Flight. LXXII, nº. 240 (January to April, 2012), pp 67-94.
- ‘Foreigners in Early Modern Historiography’ / Aliens and modernist historiography, in Recio Morales, Oscar and Glesener, Thomas (eds.), Foreigners in Spain and the Spanish America: Naciones and Nation-building. Madrid: Complutense University, Journal of Modern History Magazine, Anejo X (2011), pp 33-51.
- ‘‘The King’s Foreigners’: the New Position of Foreigners in the Trade and Army of Philip V of Spain (1700-1746)’ / "Aliens of the King": the new position of foreign trade and Bourbon army of Philip V (1700-1746), Eighteen: Spanish Enlightenment
(University of Virginia, USA), 35.1 (2012), pp 49-74.
- ‘An attempt to modernizate the Eighteenth–Century Spanish Army: the Royal Military Academy of Ávila (1774)’ / An attempt to modernize the eighteenth Bourbon army: the Royal Military College of Avila (1774), Historical Research: Modern and Contemporary Age (University of Valladolid), 32 (2012), pp 145-172.
- ‘An approach to the foreign officer profile in the Eighteenth-Century Spanish army: the formation stage of Lieutenant General Alejandro O’Reilly (1723-1794)’ / A model approach to foreign official in the Bourbon army: the formation stage of Lieutenant
General Alejandro O'Reilly (1723–1794), Notebooks Dieciochistas (University of Salamanca), Flight. 12 (2011), pp 171-195.
- '"A nation inclined to noise of arms". The Irish presence in the Spanish Army, 1580-1818: The story of a success?, Modern Times. Electronic Journal of Modern History, 4, 10 (2004). ISSN: 1699-7778.
- 'The Irish political thought in the seventeenth century Spain', Chronica Nova (University of Granada), Flight. 29 (2002), pp 245-275.
- ‘Florence Conry’s memorandum for a military assault on Ulster, 1627’, Records of the Irish: Irish historical records (The Catholic Record Society of Ireland–National University of Ireland Maynooth), Flight. LVI (2002), pp 65-72.
- 'The annexation of the Real Colegio de San Jorge to the College of San Patricio de Salamanca (1778- 1785): The loss of an Irish school for the University and city of Alcalá ', Annals Complutenses, Flight. IX (1997), pp 197-213.
- The Irish College of Alcalá de Henares (1630-1785) from an European perspective. A guideline to the Irish Colleges on the Continent: A Counter-Reformation cultural consequence, Inquiry: Magazine of History and Art (University of Alcala, 1996), Flight. 2, pp 197-228.
Divulgation works & public exhibitions
- Contribution to catalogue: Ministry of Culture of Spain, “The Irish and the Spanish Monarchy (1529-1800): Links in space and time”, Archivo General de Simancas, Valladolid (2013). Title: ‘The Irish hour in the Spanish Empire 1700–1825’, General Technical, General Directorate of Documentation and Publications, Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, Madrid, 2012, pp. 71-81.
- ‘Strangers to Citizens. The Irish in Europe 1600-1800’. Public exhibition National Library of Ireland, 2-3 Kildare Street, Dublin 2 (www.nli.ie), Ireland. Exhibition opened 12.12.2007 to 19.10.2009.
- ‘Not only seminaries. The political role of the Irish colleges in Spain’, History Ireland, Flight. 9, nº. 3 (Autumn 2001), pages from 48 to 52.
- '' In the Pit of Kinsale ": Spanish relief of Ireland in 1601 ', History 16, Flight. nº. 308 (2001), pages from 8 to 21.
- ‘When merit alone is not enough: Money as a ‘parallel route’ for Irish military advancement in Spain’ in Irish Migration Studies in Latin America, 5:2 (July 2007), pp 121-124, on-line at www.irlandeses.org ISSN 1661-6065
- The database project The Irish military presence in the Spanish Armies, 1580 – 1818, The Centre for Irish-Scottish and Comparative Studies (Trinity College Dublin), on-line at www.irishineurope.com
- The Irish military presence in the Spanish Armies, 1580-1818 Database on CD format. Madrid: coedition Spanish Ministry of Defence and Trinity College Dublin, 2007. ISBN: 978-84-9781-329-7.
- Hugh O’Neill (Dungannon, c. 1540 – Rome, 1608), third baron of Dungannon and second earl of Tyrone
- Aodh (Hugh) Son of Hugh Roe O'Donnell (1571 – Simancas, 1602), earl of Tyrconnell.
- Florence Conry (Galway, 1561 – Madrid, 1629), archbishop of Tuam.
- Luke (Lucas) Wadding. Waterford (Ireland), 16.X.1588 – Rome, 18.XI.1657.
- William (Bill) Semple. Lochwinnoch (Scotland), c. 1546 – Madrid, 1.III.1633.
- James Archer. Kilkenny (Ireland), c. 1551 – Santiago de Compostela, 15.02.1620.
- Spain Biographical Dictionary of the Royal Academy of History. Madrid: at the press.
- Steven Beller (author), A Brief History of Austria (Cambridge University Press, 2006): History of Austria, Madrid: Akal, 2009, 366 pp.
- Redworth, Glyn (author), The Prince and the Infanta. The Cultural Politics of the Spanish Match (The Prince and Princess. A Royal Wedding frustrated). Madrid: Taurus, 2004, 317 pp.
Papers delivered & International Conferences
- International Conference Eminent Europeans of Irish Origin. The Impact of Ireland in Europe: An Historical Perspective, Dublin, Royal Irish Academy–Irish Presidency of the Council of the European Union, 21-22 Feb. 2013. Paper’s title: ‘Ricardo Wall & Alejandro O'Reilly, two exemplars of political and military influence in 18’th Spain & its world’.
- XIIth International Seminar on History: ‘National Corporations in the Spanish Empire (1580-1750): Identity, patronage and social networks’ (Corporations Nation in the Spanish Monarchy (1580-1750): Identity, patronage and networks of sociability), Foundation
Carlos of Antwerp, Madrid, 28-30 November 2011.
- The Catholic Historical Society of Ireland Annual Conference, The National University of Ireland Maynooth, 2-3 November 2012. Paper’s title: ‘Foreigners and the Spanish Empire: the Irish case 1601–1825’.
- Seminar of the Research Group “Global Frontiers / Global Frontera " (University of Alcalá) "The Constitution of Cadiz and American Constitutionalism", Ateneo de Madrid, 18 May 2012. Paper’s title: "The American Paradox: The role of foreigners in peninsular
Bourbon Reforms in Spanish America (1759-1812)”.
- Current Research Projects of Historical Interest to Ireland & Spain, University College Dublin, March 2012. Paper’s title: History Research Projects in Spain: An Overview (2000-2012).
- International Conference on ‘Power Strategies: Spain and Ireland 1600–1825’ (Network and power spaces Irish community in Spain and Spanish America 1600-1825). CSIC Institute of History (Madrid & Valladolid, 20-21 October 2011).
- Permanent Seminar Coordinator "Foreigners in Spain and Spanish America in the modern age (XVI-XVIII centuries)”, Dept. Modern History (University Complutense Madrid), from 2008. See web page Dpto. Modern History (UCM).
- Inter-Cultural Seminar on Spain and Ireland, Dept. Modern Philology, University of Alcalá, 2011. Paper’s title: ‘Power strategies: Spain and Ireland 1500-1800: Army, Politics & Trade’
- International conference: "Mobility, religion, powers and anthroponymy fifteenth-nineteenth centuries ". Casa de Velázquez, Madrid (17-18-19 November 2008). Coords.: Teston Elizabeth Nunez, Roberto Bizzochi, Gregory Salinero, Bernard Vincent. Paper’s title: 'Aspects of Irish emigration antroponímicos in Spain (ss. XVI-XVIII)’.
- International conference: ‘Ireland and the Iberian Atlantic: Mobility, involvement and crosscultural exchange (1580–1823)’. School of Hispanic Americans (CSIC)-University Pablo de Olavide, Seville (Seville, 30 October–1 November 2008).
- Course: Early Modern European Composed Monarchies. Director: Dr. Alfredo Floristán, University of Alcala. Paper’s title (8 May 2008): ‘The incorporation of Ireland to the first British empire. New historiographical perspectives’.
- International conference: 'Commercial Communities / transnational colonies: Points for debate (1650-1830)’. CSIC Institute of History (Madrid, 2-3 April 2008). Paper’s title: '"Not only business»: the figure of the Irish merchant in Spain in the eighteenth. Family, identity
social ascent '.
- Annual Conference of the Economic and Social History Society of Ireland, ‘Sea and Sky, Bogland and Mountain: Explorations in Maritime and Enviromental History’, The Centre for Irish-Scottish and Comparative Studies (Trinity College Dublin), 16-17 November 2007. Paper’s title: ‘Ireland, Spain and the Caribbean: the eighteenth century’.
- International Conference: The Flight of the Earls, Letterkenny Institute of Technology (University of Ulster), 16-20 August 2007. Paper’s title: ‘What if the earls had landed in Spain? The 1607 flight in the Spanish context’.
- International Conference: The Irish in Europe: 400 years, UCD Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Institute for the Study of Irish History and Civilisation–The Louvain Institute for Ireland in Europe, Leuven (21-25 May 2007). Paper’s title: ‘Florence Conry and Spain, 1602–29: Louvain in context’.
- Mercantile Networks Conference, Department of History, School of Histories and Humanities (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland), 3 July 2006. Paper’s titles: 1) ‘Records relating to early modern merchants in Spain’; 2) ‘Spanish military migration in the seventeenth and eighteenth
- Army Scientific Seminar, nobility and society: the Kingdom of Granada and other scenarios Spanish monarchy (ss. XVI-XVIII), Granada, 27-28 January 2006. Paper’s title: "'Seizes Nation, you have a trusted Irish »: Nobility, nation and identities of Irish military group in the army of the Spanish Bourbons. The O'Reilly case ".
- International Conference: The Irish nation and society in the Spanish Army (siglos XVIXVIII), Madrid, June 2006. And. Enrique García Hernán and Oscar Recio Morales (coords.), Foreigners in the army: Military Irish in Spanish society, 1580–1818. Madrid:
Ministry of Defence, 2007.
- International Conference: Autonomous University of Madrid, the Court of Philip III and the government of the Catholic Monarchy (1598-1621), Miraflores de la Sierra (Madrid), 26-28 May 2005. Title presentation: "The Irish question in the time of Philip III".
- International Conference: War and Society in the Spanish monarchy: Policy, strategy and culture in modern Europe (1500-1700), Madrid, 9-12 March 2005. Paper’s title: "The foreign component of the Habsburg armies Hispanics: recruitment, service and
social integration ".
- 1st International Symposium on Spanish-Irish Relations Through the Ages (Salamanca, 2004).
- Third International Conferece The Irish in Europe (Kilkenny, campus National University of Ireland Maynooth, 14-15 May 2004). Paper’s title ‘Irish émigré group strategies of survival, adaptation and integration in seventeenth- and eighteenth-century Spain’.
- University College Cork Winter School: Battle of Kinsale, Commemorating 400 Years 1601-2001 (Kinsale, co. Cork, Ireland, 3-6 January 2001). Paper’s title: ‘Spanish army attitudes towards Irish allied forces at Kinsale’.
- International Conference Ireland and the Spanish monarchy: Kinsale, 1601-2001. War, policy, exile and religion (Madrid - Alcalá de Henares, 1-3 March 2001). Paper’s title: "'From Irish nation': Socio-cultural perceptions and policy responses on Ireland and the Irish community in the seventeenth century Spain ".
- Seminar on the History of the Spanish Institutions "The Monarchy, first form of the rule of law ", Dukes of Soria Foundation, Valladolid, 8-10 November 1999. Paper’s title: 'Ideological Foundations of the Irish community in exile during the reign of Philip III and Philip IV'.
- ROULLET, Antoine, SPINA, Olivier s Szczęch, Nathalie (eds.), Find a place: Individuals and communities in Modern Europe. Madrid, Casa de Velázquez, 2011, 288 pgs., ISBN: 978-84-96820-65-4, in Hispania: Spanish Journal of History, at the press.
- BLACKSMITH SANCHEZ, Manuel, BEN YESSEF GARFIA, Yasmina Rocío, BITOSSI, Carlo and PUNCUH, Dino (eds.), Genoa and the Spanish Monarchy (1528-1713), Genoa, Proceedings of the Society of National History Ligure, 2011, 2 vols., 979 pgs., ISBN: 978-88-97099-03-1, in Journal of History
Modern, 37 (2012), pp. 316-318.
- TABLE GALLEGO, Eduardo, The pacification of Flanders. Spinola and Friesland campaigns (1604-1609), Madrid, Ministry of Defence, 2009, in Hispania: Spanish Journal of History, 70 (2010), pp. 836-840.
- GARCÍA GARCÍA, Bernardo José, The Pax Hispanica. Foreign policy of the Duke of Lerma, Leuven University Press, 1996, in Inquiry. Magazine of History and Art (University of Alcalá, 1999), Flight. 3, pp. 190-191.